Living in Green
Quality of Life
Our community provides a quality environment for living, working, and raising a family. We offer a diverse housing market, quality city services, and a community with a rural feel, yet within close proximity to many "big city" amenities.
Green Local School District, rated Excellent with distinction in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008; and Excellent in 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2002, serves approximately 4,000 students (Kindergarten through 12) in five school facilities.
Portage Lakes Career Center, a full-service vocational educational institution, offers technical training, continuing educational programs, and support services. Adults, as well as students, in our community can partake in a wide variety of Secondary Education programs and Adult Educational programs offered by the top-rate Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC).
Located within 30 miles of several institutes of higher learning including The University of Akron, Kent State University - main campus and Stark campus, Stark State University, Walsh University, Malone University and Mount Union College.
City of Green Parks offer a variety of leisure and sports activities with world class soccer and lacrosse fields at Springhill Sports Complex, Dog Park at Ariss Park, walking trails at Boettler Park, the Torok Senior Center, and Ariss Park, tennis at Boettler Park and East Liberty Park, hiking, cross country, skiing trails at Southgate parks, and numerous ball fields throughout our parks.
- Akron YMCA, Green Branch:
3838 Massillon Road
- Golf - Green is home to five golf courses - practically a golfer's paradise
- Portage Lake Park System - part of the park is located in Green including Nimisila Reservoir, Mud Lake, Miller Lake, and Turkeyfoot Lake.
- Sporting events - Major league sporting events are easily available in nearby Cleveland or Pittsburgh, not to mention Akron's own minor league baseball team, the Akron Rubber Ducks, located in downtown Akron.
Green is served by two main shopping areas within the city limits. The Arlington Road corridor offers big box shopping at Target, Lowe's, Kohl's and Walmart and numerous other retail stores and restaurants. It also is home to our auto mile. The Massillon Road corridor provides small retail stores and restaurants.
We are also located within minutes of regional shopping centers such as Westfield/Belden Village, Chapel Hill, and the Montrose shopping areas.
Hospitals & Medical Centers
Located along Massillon Road in Green are two full-service emergency rooms - Akron General Health System and Summa Health Systems.
Hospitals within a 15 mile radius:
- Akron Children's Hospital
- Akron City (Summa)
- Akron General Medical Center
- Barberton Citizen's Hospital
- Cuyahoga Falls General.
- Edwin Shaw
- Timken Mercy
Outreach facilities of Akron General Medical Center, Akron Children's Hospital, and Summa, as well as numerous individual and group practitioners' offices are located in Green.
The Green post office provides Green with all postal services available at larger offices. Green residents are served by six different postal codes. Efforts to label all mail "Green, Ohio" after January 1, 2005, regardless of zip code, have been unsuccessful at this time, so residents must continue to use their current address for each zip code area, e.g. Uniontown, Ohio 44685.
- Air: Akron Canton Airport - in Green
- Motor Freight Lines: 3 local, over 100 in the area
- Public Transportation: Metro Regional Transit Authority - Local
- Rail: CSX Line at the AKCAN Industrial Park
- Water: Cleveland World Port - 48 miles