Historic Hartong Farmstead
The Levi J. Hartong Farmstead is a 20 acre farmstead nestled within city-owned Southgate Park. Since acquiring the parkland in 2006, the city has strategically planned for the rehabilitation of the farmstead structures which include an 1883 farmhouse and barn, a summer kitchen, chicken coop, well house, equipment shed and approximately 15 acres of tillable pasture.
This historic farmstead represents the intersection of environmental, historic and community stewardship that reflects the influence and care of many stakeholders: City Council, the Parks and Recreation Board, the Historic Preservation Commission, the Living Green Task Force, and the Green Historical Society. Read about June 27 public meeting from the Ohio website.
Broader relationships also influence this property including partners from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Ohio Public Works Commission, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, the Summit County Sheriff Mounted Patrol and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
The city is proposing to partner with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park to emulate their "Countryside Initiative" which will allow the city to re-establish a working farm within Southgate Park and so sustain the agricultural and cultural heritage of the Hartong farmstead.
In order to achieve this, the city is preparing to seek lessees for the farmstead site who are committed to the concepts of sustainable agriculture and have a vision for the original use of the farmstead in a way that promotes and shares this cultural resource with the community and surrounding region.
Request for Proposal
The City accepted proposals for the lease of the historic Hartong Farmstead through November 1, 2019. The city is looking for proposals that embrace the idea of returning the land to its original and historic use - a small scale agricultural farm. Applicants must demonstrate substantial knowledge of ecologically sustainable production and management practices and an understanding of what practices are best suited to this ecologically sensitive site. Built in 1883, the Hartong Farmstead is located within city-owned Southgate Park and is one of two properties in Green listed on the National Register of Historic Places.